Monday, July 25, 2011

1512 Week 6

As you know from my earlier posts that there are two things I really like about math.

1. Relevance to life
2. Formulas

I have always been more drawn to algebra and those types of math problems. I have never been a big fan of geometry (Yes, I know! You get it! I don't really like geometry!) But if you really break down geometry, you do indeed get the two things I like about math. Relevance and formulas. You can try to argue against it, but geometry is very relevant in our everyday lives. You want to know how much will fit into a container? Guess what you are doing geometry! My husband and I are going to buying some river rock to finish off some landscaping in our yard. Yup, you guessed it geometry. No, you say, that is measuring, that is not triangles and trapezoids. Wrong again. Measuring goes hand in hand with shapes and you got it, geometry!

Measuring can be easy if you just learn a few equivalences. For example how nice is it if you are cooking and you want to make another half batch of something, knowing how much you need to add can really save you a lot of time and waste.

Here are some examples of some equivalences:

1 yard = 3 feet
1 mile = 1,760 yards = 5,280 feet
1 sq foot = 144 square inches
1 pint = 2 cups
1 quart = 2 pints
1 gallon = 4 quarts
1 pound = 16 ounces

Here is a little video on measurement.

No comments:

Post a Comment